Door lining for two 610mm doors. Build or buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a door lining to make two internal double doors, like french doors.

I am making a little utility cupboard, going to use two 610mm core doors, hinged on the left and right, they will stay shut using magnet catches on the inside as there will be a counter top in there. Reason i am doing it this way is i can get the matching doors to the rest of my internal doors (cottage type)

Now last time i bought linings were from build base, single 768 opening, premade kit with the notched header to stop them twisting. But i cant find the suitable lining sizes i would need for two 610's. Also seems hard to find a set the aint bent up once you open the pack!! (Going off my last putchases)

I have been thinking i would i be better off buying the PSE timber and making the lining to suit, allow 3mm gaps at the hinges and center opening.

What you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Buy joinery grade redwood - 30mm thick for the lining, 12mm thick for the stop laths (not structural, so it can be whitewood). Remember that with a double door it's best to have some fixings upwards throught the head of the lining to prevent it drooping

If you have a circular saw or a router plus a square you can chop out your own housings (grooves). They should be 10mm deep. I tend to.use 6 x 100mm or 5 x 100mm screws to assemble (piloted and countersunk) with D3 or D4 PVA (not PU glue as it can blow the joints if you are slow on assembly)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top advice there pal just what i was looking for. Yes got a router thats a good call actually, saves me chiping it out.

Nice one buddy thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Note that as a diyer, if there is space I put an extra bit of wood between the liner and the bricks where the hinge screws will be located.
Hence you have 60mm of wood to screw hinges into.
Not always possible, but useful when I can.
Sfk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back