Door Lining On Super Thick Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently building a stud wall in what was previously a barn. Within the room is a doorway, which has a wall around 50cm thick between the two rooms.

Ill probably board and plaster the doorway, as it isnt pretty stone.... but how would you go about installing a door liner and door. I can certainly install a liner which is a standard door frame size..... but within it being 50cm deep, how would you suggest going about making it look neat?

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
As a door liner is simply wooden board with door stops nailed in, I would just make my own from suitability wide boards. Use ply or mdf if you are going to be painting it anyway

As a door liner is simply wooden board with door stops nailed in, I would just make my own from suitability wide boards. Use ply or mdf if you are going to be painting it anyway
Would that be strong enough to hinge the door off?

Sponsored Links
Yes, in principle like you would build a door at the end of a corridor though you'll need a wider frame if you want full architraves.

Would that be strong enough to hinge the door off?
Probably not mdf thinking about it, but >22mm ply that's well secured to the wall should be ok unless it's a heavy door.

Or the above suggestion will work just as well.

door4.jpg

In grand houses with very thick walls, I have seen the lining panelled to match the doors.

Note that if there is space I often add, where the hinges will be, a block of wood inside the door liner (between the liner and wall) .
This allows for longer screws to be used. Or rather that the screws will have more thickness of wood to be screwed into.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back