Door switch for LAP Flynn LED Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Bought a set of LED lights for my wardrobe (http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-flynn-recessed-led-kit-white-15mm/41346) but want to add a door switch so they come on automatically.
I was going to split the wire going from the transformer to the mains plug (i.e. 240V) and run through a 'push to break' switch. Is this the best device, or should I be looking for a sensor switch (I was looking at a Hafele sensor, but not clear if this would be compatible with my solution)? Don't want it to waste too much energy when idle, so a solution that minimises this would be good.
Bit of a novice, so would also appreciate confirmation that my proposal is right.
Any ideas / product suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Push-to-break door switches will be fine, a lot less to go wrong than with sensors.

They can have surprisingly strong springs - if you are not using the sort that you recess into the frame, put them as close to the hinged sides of the doors as you can possibly get them, or you risk having them push the doors open.

I was going to split the wire going from the transformer to the mains plug (i.e. 240V) and run through a 'push to break' switch.

You can't do that. from the picture, it looks like the kit has a plug-in transformer (aka wall wart). The wire coming from that is on the extra-low volt side. You need to be turning on and off on the 230v side (ie before the plug) otherwise the transformer will be energised 24/7 and they are not made for continuous use.

You'd need to engineer a special socket that has the live going off to the door switch.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back