Self Install LED Loft Wiring

Sponsored Links
Your loft conversion will require Building regulations approval.
I guess that you have applied for this.(?)

In your submission, how did you say that you would comply with Building Regulations Part P? Did you say that you would do it yourself, or that you would use a scheme member electrician?

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I should have said 'laying cables', not wiring up.

Yes BC are inspecting.

The electrician will have to certify that he has designed installed and tested the wiring.

How will he do that, or do you expect him to fraudulently sign the certificate?

Sponsored Links
We have had a conversation, he is happy for me to lay cables to a competent standard, he will then come, visually inspect these cable runs and test them, then he will do the final wiring, connection and certification.

If anything is not to his liking (ie with the cable runs) I am expecting him to say so, correct it and charge me accordingly.

I hope you are not expecting to light the room with those lights? They are just meant to illuminate a worktop less than a metre away…

The LED set includes a "wall wart" plug in driver. So your only option would be to provide a wall light switch with the output to a standard 13A-style socket, clearly marked "FOR LIGHTING ONLY" - just so some muppet doesn't plug a hair dryer into it.

The easiest method would be to loop in the neutral at the light switch.

No, I just want some subtle lighting in an alcove.

Thanks for the advice to mark the socket, I may even enclose the socket out of harms way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back