Door threshold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads

I am fitting an old door and got a hardwood door frame with the seals but I dont know what the plastic bit is in the photos attached, I think its a threshold for under the door that sits into the groove on the sill? is that right? if so I need to plane bottom of door to sit on top of it and not the not sit flush with the sill itself?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200913_175602.jpg
    20200913_175602.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 20200913_175606.jpg
    20200913_175606.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 20200913_175652.jpg
    20200913_175652.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
View attachment 204739 View attachment 204740 Yes it knocks into the groove, it fits with the rubber gasket facing inward, you will need to form a rebate along the bottom of the door if it hasn't already got one, like this.....
agh right that would mean there is a gap between the bottom front of the door and the sill about 10mm? hmm that wont look too good...also I dont have a tool to cut the recess and its an old door, if I dont use it all, can I just have the bottom door sit flush on top of sill?

Sponsored Links
Yes but what would stop the wind and rain blowing under the door........nothing!

You could do away with that strip and fit an aluminum threshold with built in draught excluder

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormgua...M6HAJlsiEa1kRW7mtIMaAtKqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yea of course get what you mean, so what is best option in your opinion, worried about messing bottom door up with recess cut although the trim looks neat I have it in the sill groove. Either way the bottom of the door cant sit flush on top of the the sill correct? as something needs to go under for weather as in threshold.

So that one you linked to screws up into the bottom of the door? If I use that can I just fill the sill gap insert that was for the one that came with it?

Last edited:
Do I need one of those yu linked to and this? I dont see how this keeps drafts out from under door
https://www.doordeals.co.uk/product...rds-and-thresholds/hardwood-weatherboard.aspx

Door and frame is hardwood but I dont see rubber seal on the hardwood weather board, thanks and sorry for all these sprog questions.

The weather bar deflects rain away from the bottom of the door as it runs down, that works in conjunction with a weather strip, that's the bit you have already it came with your frame, it's this bit that should have a rubbery side to it and the rebate you need to form at the bottom of the door presses against the rubbery bit and creates a draught proof seal, seeing as you haven't got the tools to form this rebate its pointless fitting it hence I linked you to an aluminum storm guard which enables you to just cut the door off straight, the weather bar was never mentioned, I was trying to provide a work around for not using that strip you have

The weather bar deflects rain away from the bottom of the door as it runs down, that works in conjunction with a weather strip, that's the bit you have already it came with your frame, it's this bit that should have a rubbery side to it and the rebate you need to form at the bottom of the door presses against the rubbery bit and creates a draught proof seal, seeing as you haven't got the tools to form this rebate its pointless fitting it hence I linked you to an aluminum storm guard which enables you to just cut the door off straight, the weather bar was never mentioned, I was trying to provide a work around for not using that strip you have
Thanks mate got it...gonna get what you suggested and cut it straight, thanks again man...appreciate your time.

Sos man you will be getting fed up with me...I got a router so can do the lip on bottom, is this the correct way to put the seal down?

Attachments

• 20200915_171930 (1).jpg
    20200915_171930 (1).jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 20200915_171945.jpg
    20200915_171945.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 20200915_171954.jpg
    20200915_171954.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 214
Can't tell at all from the pictures, the strip goes down with the teeth/ribs going down into the slot in the wood, but make sure the rubber gasket side of the strip faces inward

677185.jpg

Can't tell at all from the pictures, the strip goes down with the teeth/ribs going down into the slot in the wood, but make sure the rubber gasket side of the strip faces inward

View attachment 204908
Yea the tiny ribs are in bottom groove and the flat side of the rubber seal is pointing inwards with the curve side pointing outwards, is that correct? it doesnt come up to door edge so the recess in door will look like a space under the door where it connects with the rubber seal.

677185__01.jpg
No the curved side faces inward, that side is the side with the draught excluder, the rebate you are going to make with your router presses against the curved side and creates a seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back