Door V-seal for 4mm channel - not self adhesive!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've noticed our front and back wooden doors have a 4mm channel routed into the frame. Wondering if this is for a push-fit draught seal that's been missing since the house build 18-years ago?

Anyone know of a V-seal that rather than being self-adhesive, can be pushed into the 4mm wide channel?

Have done loads of Google-ing, can find evey profile, and self adhesive, but nothing that I'm after.

Cheers,
Neil

Sponsored Links
Do you mean something like so??
universal_gasket.jpg

www.handlesandhinges.co.uk

Jonny.

No, not like that. That's what my matching windows have - it's under compression when the window's closed - if that makes sense? The door one will "wipe" the door's edge as it closes and seal the door edge, not the outside face.

Below is the conventional self-adhesive V strip - which I don't like. Am sure the 4mm wide channel in the frame is to receive something like picture 2, below, but the V will need to be more compressed - like the self-adhesive - to seal only a 2mm door gap.

Self Adhesive V strip

Want something like this to push into 4mm channel

Cheers,
Neil

Sponsored Links
Sprocket.

Life is ebbing away on this quest ;) Can find every conceivable shaped item except what I want! Can't believe it's not out there!

Just did a sash window repair that needed some Weatherpile slide-in brush. Oddly enough, I experimented pushing it in the 4mm wide channel of my door frame. Although the plastic track of the weather seal is 4.8mm I can wedge it in side ways and it will go in! The brush I had to buy was a shallow pile height of only 5.5 mm which just sank to the bottom of the channel. However, there are longer piles and wonder if this may work? Could put some shim-like arrangement in the channel 1st to pack out so brush just engages with the doors edges?

I will experiment.

http://www.reddiseals.com/acatalog/weatherstripping_reddifin_weatherpile_5-5mm.html

Cheers,
Neil

pretty sure the aquamac poroduct only requires a 2 to 3 mm width of insertion rebate. Trend do a Router cutter to suit its installation.

Thus pressing that into the 5mm wide slot I have offers no friction for retention - it'll just drop out as soon as I let go.

Looks like packing the rebate with slome slithers of 2 or 3 mil mdf might be required to shim it down to a new seal size - what a hassle.

you could try a bit of acrylic sealant or similar to hold the weatherseal in. can you use the door closing action to hold it in whilst the sealant goes off?
grab adhesive would def work but not easy to change in the future.

just noticed you only have a 2mm gap. beware a vseal will not compress that much. if you could get a rectangular foam section 4mm wide and a suitable depth (groove depth plus say 5mm) then pop that in with a bit of sealant at the back. that way the foam has room to be compressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back