dorky idea for cyclists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You read about so many accidents between cyclists and vehicles on our cities streets.

So not allow a cyclist to wear a rotating amber beacon on their helmet?

I know what you're thinking...knobs and heads comes to mind, but no, I'm thinking of something super low profile that emits a rotating beam of orange light that will be visible from a greater distance than any bike light.

Would it be illegal?

Sponsored Links
quite a lot of sensible people already wear visible clothing, and some use a lamp on their heads. Road users should always look around themselves.

But you will cause offense in some quarters if you suggest that cyclists should take safety measures.

You read about so many accidents between cyclists and vehicles on our cities streets.

So not allow a cyclist to wear a rotating amber beacon on their helmet?

I know what you're thinking...knobs and heads comes to mind, but no, I'm thinking of something super low profile that emits a rotating beam of orange light that will be visible from a greater distance than any bike light.

Would it be illegal?
It would give them a greater feeling of importance and immortality, of which they are neither. What they need is training and some kind of insurance and registration. It's time they took responsibility for themselves. Not all are feckless (just like car drivers) but some are complete morons (just like car drivers).

Would it make any difference? Probably not, and it wouldn't be allowed as orange intermittent lights are for indicators and highways vehicles. Also being brighter than any Bike light would make it blinding for other road users. I've got a 1W LED for my front light for night riding. If that was angled at drivers then at short distance it's like being hit by high beams.

If people cared about cycle safety there's lots of proven stuff that can be done. Road design is the biggest single issue. We've taken it seriously for cars, less so for cyclists.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Let's face it, we're trying to put a round peg through a square hole with much of this. I suppose the round peg can be thought of as cyclists and the square hole the existing road infrastructure, much of which wasn't designed to handle cyclists and large volumes of vehicles at the same time.

I do find it a bit strange to think someone can be a cyclist with a requirement to cycle on public roads on a regular basis e.g. maybe doing a work commute that requires an x mile round trip on busy roads ... and they can do this without any form of formal training or having to pay even a nominal annual tax for the privilege.

Loads of cycle helmets have strobes and built in red lights.
They are fairly visible and are a good idea, but the people who wear them are not the issue.
It’s the “no lights, black hoodie” crowd that are the issue.

I am playing with electro luminescent wire for a project.
You could light the whole bike frame up if you wanted, or led tape.
But unless you use what light technology is available now, it’s pointless

No, i wouldn't say it's a dorky idea....bloody silly, maybe. Absolutely ridiculous, perhaps.
But no, not dorky at all.
Let us know how you get on with it. Pictures please.:D
Better yet, fix up a prototype and take it to the Dragon's Den.

Hello OP

Good idea but who will enforce it?

I'm advocating safety for car drivers and all other road users namely pushbike riders and bikers.
IE: The law should be changed to make it mandatory for all push bike riders as well as motorbike riders to wear a hi-vis
jacket that is kept relatively clean.

For push bikers and in the winter especially early morning most have no lights and more often not one on the back or hi-vis. Nor
do most have bells. Also they must have an ID on their hi-vis and insurance,

The above may sound harsh but if made law and enforced, it will save lives and car drivers a lot of heartaches when they run over a pushbike rider wearing dark clothing, no lights in the dark.

Good evening

:) :)

I'm a car driver and a cyclist, and when in my bike I avoid the road at all costs.
Too many incompetent drivers around.
I prefer to stick to cycle lanes, parks or gravel.
If I have to go on the road I go by car.

Although hi viz may have a benefit to motor cycles, mandatory is bonkers.
Why not paint all cars orange?

I ride with my lights on, but car drivers are too insulated in their boxes to see a bright pink motorcycle fitted with Christmas lights.

awareness of other road users is important. Especially for car drivers.

I'm a car driver and a cyclist, and when in my bike I avoid the road at all costs.
Too many incompetent drivers around.
I prefer to stick to cycle lanes, parks or gravel.
If I have to go on the road I go by car.

Thank you,

If I may ask, do you wear hi-vis and have lights and a bell???

I guess you are in a better position than most vehicle drivers. I'm a pedestrian as well as a driver but rarely cross the road on foot as the only walks i do are around where we live or at the shops.

Even before the law changed I always give pushbike riders as much room as i can and something I'd be happy with if I was riding a pushbike.

IMO, if pushbikes had ID displayed on their bike and/or on their hi-vis we will see safe roads.

A friend of ours was crossing on a zebra crossing and as she reached the other side of the road just before the pavement a cloen on a bike shot past her nearly injuring her or worse. There is a valid case of ID on bikers and other safety rules.

Thank you.

I have a bell but no lights and no hi-vi because I don't go on the road and I don't ride my bike at night.
I only use the bike in good weather and in daylight.

Excellent response just as I assumed.

Just shows that often those that drive and ride and more
aware of the risks of riding a bike.

You having a bell is good as you know people can unwittingly or children step out in front of you especially on park paths often shared between cycle riders and pedestrians.

Good evening

:) :)

Push bikes on the road are a nuisance IMO

the head down b um up brigade causing traffic jams and chaos

jeez us

I would ban em off the road same as caravan towing although they would be allowed to tow there caravans from from 10pm to 6 am

there after they can park up

any one riding a horse would be bannned off the road as well

and horse boxes

Sponsored Links
Back