Dormer cheek fire resistance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone;

Conventional dormer on 1930s semi; have been advised by Building Control that the dormer cheek adjacent to the party boundary on the roof must have 60 mins fire resistance from both sides.

1. Anyone know if this is this correct?
2. If it is, anyone know how to achieve this? - it will be clad externally by plain tiles/battens/
breather paper/counter battens/OSB/studs.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Surely it only needs 60 minutes if it is a separating wall, ie. there would have to be another dormer joined to it.

If it is just close to party boundary then it is a surface spread of flame issue and needs to be within unprotected area limits or non-combustible. Down here if we have that situation we have to line the inside of the cheek with a layer of mineral fibre board plus an extra outer layer on the outside behind the cladding.

Edit: I might have got myself a bit confused there I was thinking of beach huts, oh yes one of my many talents is a beach hut designer. With a dormer cheek plasterboard internally would be OK with the mineral fibre board on the outside under the cladding.

Last edited:
It's 30 minutes within 1 m of the boundary. That's in Part B and all the various council's BC guides. The concrete tiles satisfy this externally, and then 12.5mm plasterboard with all joints covered with a batten or double boards internally.

Otherwise for 60 minutes its a 12mm cement board on both sides and then the other stuff as you planned.

If the BCO is being pedantic about a 60 minute frame, then he should be equally stringent on the roof, close window frame and glazing, and the soffit/facia detailing.

Thanks both; I thought it was 30 minutes, so will have a tactful word with the inspector.

Sponsored Links
I think it depends on the angle between the surface and the boundary in terms of radiant heat angle of incidence. I am not really an expert but i reckon after Grenfell they are possibly more worried about that. We got away with a lot more at the side because our side is just over a metre from the actual boundary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back