Dormer flat roof design - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The current design (not built yet) for the flat roof part of my new loft conversion falls back towards the ridge of the original pitched roof with a secret gutter running just beneath the ridge. A number of builders have commented that it would be much easier, and probably better long term to try to get the fall running the other way. I have raised this with the Architect who advised me that to do this would mean that the flat roof felt or EPDM (whichever I choose) would have to be simply lapped under the ridge caps and then pugged in with mortar which is his opinion was very poor practice, interestingly this is exacly how my next door neighbours loft conversion roof has been done! Anyway, I wondered if there were any other options for the junction of the felt/EPDM and ridge that are not considered poor practice? Perhaps there is a ridge cap product designed for this purpose?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Until it leaks one day and the whole of the inside of the property is wrecked ..........

Its bad practice IMHO to drain any rainwater internally unless there is no other option whatsoever and then the pipes should be metal with rubber joints.

Until it leaks one day and the whole of the inside of the property is wrecked ..........

Its bad practice IMHO to drain any rainwater internally unless there is no other option whatsoever and then the pipes should be metal with rubber joints.

We don't particularly like internal drainage either but we were not the designer

Sponsored Links
@ the OP, I’m pretty sure I’ve got a detail showing this somewhere, I’ll dig it out tonight.

Gents,

Thanks for the replies. It's very unlikely that I will get the 150mm vertical distance between the edge of the ridge caps and the flat part of the EPDM/FELT. I thought there might be a purpose made ridge cap product out there that allows the roof dormer flat roof to start at pretty much the height of the bottom edge of the ridge caps. Of course, this would mean a product that gives a bloody good water seal between the ridge cap and EPDM. We don't have the height to put in the 150mm you talk about!

Steve

Use a similar method to FMTs drawing but use EDPM and stick it down to a ply strip nailed to the rafters then lap it up and over a batten, nailed to the top of the ridge and the drape it over the undersarking on the other plane of the roof and nail it under the second batten down batten
Having less than 150mm upstand isn't ideal but you should really be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back