Dormer party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a stranger to this stuff so excuse ignorance/naievty. We're mid terrace and considering a dormer loft conversion. The problem is that our neighbour to one side has already built their own dormer extension right up to the boundary line (mid chimney breast). The question is can I build off their flank wall or is it necessary/desirable to leave a gap? Aesthetically I think I'd prefer a bit of space, but don't want to lose too much floorspace. Bit cross they've built right up to the boundary line...lesson learned. Hope that makes sense and welcome any advice.

cheers

Sponsored Links
You can build off their dormer cheek but you need their permission, i had the same problem, neighbor said no, so i built really close enough to it which means if he needs to do maintenance work on tiles on his dormer cheek he can't as there is no space in between.

You can raise the party wall to form the dormer cheek. Neighbour cannot just say no, you would have to go through the Party Wall procedure which could prove expensive if neighbour is being awkward but they cannot stop you doing it. Bit over simplified but you get the gist.

Sponsored Links
You can raise the party wall to form the dormer cheek. Neighbour cannot just say no, you would have to go through the Party Wall procedure which could prove expensive if neighbour is being awkward but they cannot stop you doing it. Bit over simplified but you get the gist.

If the neighbour has already built a dormer on their half of the party wall, then the OP can do the same and it is not raising a party wall.

OP, build your dormer and and have it designed so as any slight gap between them is sealed or flashed across.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back