dormer and party wall notice

1 Feb 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom

We're in the process of gathering quotes for our loft conversion and I am now working on the party wall notice I intend to serve on my neighbour. i'm not anticipating problems as he seemed fine with the proposals when we spoke earlier. However, i want to get the wording correct.

I will obviously include a line to cover the 3 steel beams and pads stones that are required, but do I also need to include a line regarding building off the existing party wall?

to explain- the rear dormer will be full width and built in timber off my half of the existing block-work party wall. Would this constitute raising the hight of the party structure? Or, should it be worded in another way?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Out of interest OP....

Have you got planning approval or a PD certificate of lawfulness for this full width rear facing dormer? I presume you have a semi + your building off your leaf of the party wall + the the inner leaf of the gable external wall on the other side?

Have you got Building Regs approval or are you doing it thru a Building Notice?
you're correct - it is a semi and we are building off our leaf of the party wall and the inner leaf around the rear of the property.

We have submitted a full application to building control - now all approved. TBH - having found a really good architect technician (who employed the services of a structural engineer) it was far far easier than I would imagine the building notice process to be - especially as I will be doing some of the work myself and don't have a good knowledge of the regs.

With regards to planning - this work is within PD. I had an informal visit from the planning department which was useful. They have since written and recited the PD rules and suggested I apply for a certificate of lawful development. I am not sure whether it is worth it, unless anyone can suggest why??
You do not need a Lawful Development Certificate, they encoutage people so that they (the LA) can make a bit of cash. Occasionally a contentious extension or similar that is in a grey area can make buyers/surveyors/solicitors nervous and then a Certificate can be useful.
Sponsored Links
My advice is, for the sake of £75, get a Cert. of Lawfulness. It's clears all grey areas both for now + in the future.

You Planning Dept. have written to you quoting the standard PD dormer rules + regs. But I have come across a case up here in West Yorks of been given the all the clear, no Cert. obtained, building a full width dormer + now Planning Enforcement causing a stoppage of works wanting a smaller dormer (despite meeting volume, 200mm eaves + below ridge guidlines).

An 'informal' visit from a Planning Officer doesn't constitute anything legally as far as I'm concerned, have you got it in black + white? There's no point saying 'but he said it's be ok!'......get that confirmation.

I take you have the dwg's all done, therefore get them submitted + the £75 fee and take away that worry.

In my humble opinion anyway.

The Building Control is a non-issue, any competant Technician should have got that approval with ease tbh. It's the Planning a client should be concerned with.
Occasionally a contentious extension or similar that is in a grey area can make buyers/surveyors/solicitors nervous and then a Certificate can be useful.
we live in an estate full of dormer bungalows so would be amazed if anyone objected or had reason to be funny about things :mrgreen:

peca27 - i hear what you say and agree on the informal visit...

Does anyone have advice regarding my original post?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local