Dormer Window Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some info:
Dormer window across main bedroom with flat roof roughly 10m^2
Semi-detached built roughly 1970
Rest of roof tiled

Have been in a dilemma. Our existing dormer window has a flat roof and has started to leak. Rather than get it repaired we started to think about extending the dormer across to the adjacent bedroom.

I assume it makes sense to just bite the bullet and go for the extension now rather than repair and do it later?

What do i need to do for the dormer:

Do i need planning permission and an architects plan ?

Roughly how much would it cost to extend the dormer by the same size as existing dormer ?

Roughly how much should it cost to have it re-felted if we decided just to repair ?

I need some guides so I can get some realistic estimates and make our decision from there.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A quick Google and I think these are the rules for Permitted Development ie what you can do without having to apply for Planning Permission for Scotland

Class

2.—(1) Any alteration to the roof of a dwellinghouse including the enlargement of a dwellinghouse by way of an addition or alteration to its roof.

(2) Development is not permitted by this class if—

(a)any part of the dwellinghouse would as a result of the works, exceed the height of the highest part of the existing roof;

(b)any part of the dwellinghouse would, as a result of the works, extend 10 centimetres beyond the plane of any existing roof slope;

(c)the roof area of the enlargement exceeds 10% of the roof area of the dwelling house before development;

(d)any roofing material used would materially affect the external appearance of the dwelling house;

(e)the dwelling house is in a conservation area.

Therefore you'll need Planning Permission. You can do it yourself if you have some basic drawing skills, many people do, you can get plenty of advice from the Planning & Building Regs section of the Forum. Can't really say if you'll get permission or not, has anyone else in your imediate area done it, do all the houses have dormer's depends really and nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer .

To pay a technician to do a Planning App for this would probably be in the region of £250

I'm not the best to advise with regards to costs for building works.

Probably best asking in the Roofing or Building Section tbh

Sponsored Links
Yeah pretty much most of them have them already some just like mine and some with it extended along but none done recently.

I was thinking of having a go but would probably struggle for time and definately would struggle with the skills tbh.

Do you think I would be better getting the mod to drop this in the roof and building section ? .... should have thought that one out a bit better lol

Click on the Alert Mods tab in the bottom right of your last post and send to the mods and admin to ask them to move it to Roofing

SDC10727.jpg

Lets get this straight;

You have one dormer and you want to make tit double the size so a price for that?

You also want a price for re-roofing the existing one.

Smaller photos would have probably helped too and a photo showing the whole roof wouldn't go amiss. TBH asking a roofer to price a new roof is a hellofalot easier than pricing something more unusual (ie if they've never done it its more difficult to price on a Forum) that may be why you've had no response.

Lets get this straight;

You have one dormer and you want to make tit double the size so a price for that?

You also want a price for re-roofing the existing one.

Smaller photos would have probably helped too and a photo showing the whole roof wouldn't go amiss. TBH asking a roofer to price a new roof is a hellofalot easier than pricing something more unusual (ie if they've never done it its more difficult to price on a Forum) that may be why you've had no response.

Appologies if it isnt clear:

Its a semi-detached so everything on the other side is is my neighbours but I can get a pic of that if you think its necessary. Was in a rush to get the photos up onto the forum so never had time to re-size.

On that picture of the existing dormer is the main bedroom. I basically want to extend that across to cover another room. The other room is pretty small and only has a small side window so I want to increase the volume and light in there.

The extension width is probably smaller than what is there and could probably get away with a smaller window.

Seperate to this is an issue with the existing dormer roof which is leaking. Was also looking for a price for refelting that.

Some pointless background:
The dilemma bit is as money is tight we were intending just repairing the original dormer and get the extension done maybe l8r this or next year. But now I am thinking that might cost more so perhaps best we just get everything done in one go. So if I have prices for above (of course I assume the cost of the extension would include felt on the extended parts roof) I can make a more informed decision.

There ...... now your really confused !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back