Dosmetic Networking

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help.

Was thinking of networking our PC (upstairs) with the main TV (downstairs) so that we can play itunes thru the tv/surround sound.

Will I be able t ouse a second wireless keyboard/mouse so that it controls the master pc (we currently use a wireless keyboard and mouse).

In terms of cabling, what would I be best to use - CAT5E? Am planning on running some FT100 cable to carry just satellite signal to various rooms (for future use) - I assume that this wouldn't be any good for the networking part - am planning to run this to the studay also so that the pc will have a proper tv signal.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Wireless is easiest and your bandwidth requirements are not high so it should be sufficient for those purposes too. Easiest have some kind of media player under the TV that is network aware so you can have it play the tunes over the network, streamed off the computer

If your running other cable in then sticking in CAT5 cable will also be a good idea, for both now & in the future.

Cable would be a lot quicker than wireless.

Sponsored Links
Well, in that case fit CAT1500 cable & your well away for the next millenium... lol

btw, cat1500 does not exist yet - check back in the year 2730

If your running other cable in then sticking in CAT5 cable will also be a good idea, for both now & in the future.

CAT6 for the future :)

Hi Cjard

Is cat 6 with rj45 plugs rather than 8P8C plugs little more than a really expensive cat 5?

Have not used cat6 :oops:

Also the rj45 sockets in most routers I guess are not strictly cat6 compliant- is it safe to assume that those in 1000meg routers are?

CAT 6 is the same as CAT5 connection wise

CAT6 has high integrity shielding unlike CAT5

Hi kkynaston

my question was that if I were to use cat6 in place of cat5 would I be wasting money unless I use the correct plugs (ie. 8P8C not rj45 )

I only network domestically and have not been aware of any cross talk issues and thus can not see the advantage of using cat6 until convinced of the extra merits of it.

I am not being (intentionally) flipant but cannot justify the extra costs at the moment- until proven wrong

Ta

I don't see any need for it in a domestic environment really.

TBH our factory was wired in Cat5 throughout (about 20 years ago according to the design specs) and I haven't got a single dead line or connection issue.

Mind you, its an Ex-Makita building so you wouldn't expect anything less from the Japaneese ;)

I use Cat6 at work as all our network equipment operates at 1Gigabit, I would be suprised if your TV supported 1Gigabit (yet) or if indeed you would ever need it. My advice would be to go for a good quality sheilded Cat5 cable.

Good quality 'shielded' cat5e would cost a bomb.
UTP Cat5e is fine.
I've done my house with it and others too. Cat6 is rather fussy when you want to start bending it around corners like door architraves for example. It will guarantee gigaibt speeds but only if all the criteria are obeyed.
Cat5e will do gigabit for the 1st 25m, as long as its not placed parallel to power lines or tied in knots. It will stand a good deal of hammer though.
305m of internal cat5e can be had for about £60 ish. RJ45 plugs are dead cheap off ebay, packs of 100 for about £7. Go to a diy store or maplins and you'll get ripped big time!

I have about 400m of cat6 left ;) , but cos i prefer to use cat5e i only have about 80m or so remaining.

Sponsored Links
Back