Microsoft wireless natural keyboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not used this part of the forum before but I spent ages going around in circles on the Microsoft webpage help so gave up & thought I would try here.
I bought a wireless keyboard & mouse to replace my ageing wired natural keyboard but I run multiple OS systems on my PC & the keyboard doesn't seem to be operative at POST OS select menu, presumably because the wireless system drivers reside within the OS itself! It seems a bit pointless having to have a wired keyboard permanently connected as well just to allow OS selection or am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
If you want to use a wireless keyboard before the O/S is running then the BIOS must be able to support it. It's not particularly a wireless thing, just USB, but many (particularly older) BIOS revisions don't do it.

If it's important to you to get this working, then see if your motherboard manufacturer is offering a BIOS revision that will do what you want.

Well after an hour of faffing around with the manual & on Microsoft website that was very easily sorted. This is the first time I've set up a USB keyboard but it should have been obvious! Must admit I was a little surprised to get such a quick response from you down this end of the forum; you're obviously a multi-tallented person, thanks softus.

You're welcome, although it sounds like I wasn't much help. I'm curious now - what was the solution to your particular problem?

BTW, just call me Jack. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Jack, it was as simple as enabling USB mouse/keyboard support in the BIOS & you pointed me in the right direction. Am currently building a new machine (or trying to), have done it many times before without probs. but the new mobo just doesn't seem to want to play. I have a few other things to try but I'm beggining to think it's stuffed! May come back & try here again if I can't sort it; thanks again. :D

Richard C said:
Um, sorry, but I didn't mean literally. :oops:

...it was as simple as enabling USB mouse/keyboard support in the BIOS
Ah yes - I should have suggested that first - I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I made the assumption that you'd checked that. (Moral: never make assumptions).

but the new mobo just doesn't seem to want to play.
Let us know - there's plenty of capable people on here.

Softus said:
Um, sorry, but I didn't mean literally.
:oops: Oh dear, was a bit slow there as well then! Brain obviously not working too quickly at the minute, probably as a result of the new mobo driving me to distraction!

Sponsored Links
Back