dot and dabbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads how many boards does a 25kg bag of adhesive fix.thanks for any info in advance.Sorry boards are 2.4x1.2.

Sponsored Links
I used 3/4 of a bag the other day to put up two 8x4 sheets. The easy mistake to make is that you think you put too much on, however really a bag does not go that far at all!

It depends on the mix as well.. And that's a secret I've yet to learn, I fear plasterers pass it on to their young only on their deathbed!!

Based on my own little 'fun' with dot/dab there seems to be a fine line between "just right" and "you've got 15mins then you'll be left with a rock at the bottom of the bucket!"

Sponsored Links
I make my mix pretty thick so when it goes on the hawk there is hardly any movement at all. It needs to be thick as it will just run off the wall when splodged! :LOL:

It depends on the mix as well.. And that's a secret I've yet to learn, I fear plasterers pass it on to their young only on their deathbed!!
:LOL:
Based on my own little 'fun' with dot/dab there seems to be a fine line between "just right" and "you've got 15mins then you'll be left with a rock at the bottom of the bucket!"
It shouldn’t go off anywhere near that quickly; reasons could be old stock, badly stored, dirty mixing bucket/tools or it took longer to put the boards up than you thought; time always flies when your enjoying yourself :LOL: ;)

I think my "problem" with making the mix stemmed from many moons of watching my dad mix it by hand, the choice words at the times etc etc And the session always ending with "I must get one of those mixers for the drill"... But he always managed to get it right and seemed to work with it for ages!..

Fast forward about 5yrs.. Unfortunately my diy guru is no longer around for advice but I remember (most!) what he said and dived in with my shiny new paddle mixer.. THERE BEGINS THE ERROR!..

I only found out AFTER that apprently adhesive doesn't like being blended quickly and there seems to be a sweet spot that I didn't get on the first mix (speed/time) but seemed better on the second.. If I learned anything from it, it would be my trusty rechargable drill isn't as controllable as I originally thought!.. DOH! So next time I do any d&d (after xmas.. I WILL get some more of the projects done round here!) I'll spend some time asking the guru's here to supplement my small but growing knowledge..

So for christmas guys.. If you fancy knocking up an idiots guide :D

As always thanks for the advice.. Keep it up..

PS Richard: Your probably right actually it was strangely fun trying to get the small strip we'd measured dab'd so perhaps time did run away!

Don’t worry it’s not that difficult; don’t mix the adhesive too thin but don’t make it too thick either or the boards will set too quickly & the adhesion won’t be very good. ;)

Thought I'd reply to this seperately... How the heck do you know when? :LOL:

What we found (me and my shanghied brothers who were roped in to help) regardless of the amount you put in, it seemed to stay as quite a liquid slurry. We'd read the pack, I'd scanned for advice on the net. Kept waiting for that moment where it became the consistancy of double cream(?) just didn't want to happen. Left it 5mins as stated.. Nope.. bit more.. bit of a mix.. another 5mins.. WTH?..

We got there eventually... Well its on the wall and hasn't come down yet! But boy was it a chore! Not that I'll get to this level mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pssxkpXEb8&feature=fvw hehe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back