dot and dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, sure I could find my answer on here with all this knowledge. Was going to dot and dab a playroom wall, 9" block... would I PVA wall ? thinking yes? and secondly what is required for dot and dab i.e adesive... could I use hardwall plaster to dot and dab... Or drywall adhesive... whats the difference... I understand the process just not the correct adhesive. Its just that I have a bag of hardwall in the garage but not sure if its ok to use for dot and dab.
any help ...thanks

Sponsored Links
I would get the plasterboard adhesive if I was doing D&D. Right product for the job.
You also don't need to pva first. Brush off any lose material first.

hi, sure I could find my answer on here with all this knowledge. Was going to dot and dab a playroom wall, 9" block... would I PVA wall ? thinking yes? and secondly what is required for dot and dab i.e adesive... could I use hardwall plaster to dot and dab... Or drywall adhesive... whats the difference... I understand the process just not the correct adhesive. Its just that I have a bag of hardwall in the garage but not sure if its ok to use for dot and dab.
any help ...thanks

Personally, I would PVA the wall first, it stops the blocks from sucking the moisture from the adhesive too quickly and lets it 'go off' properly and in it's own time. It also helps to stabilise the surface, incase its 'bitty' or loose.

Just my opinion.

Sponsored Links
It is not necessary to PVA the wall when D'n'D-ing.
It is a good idea to make sure the surface is clean and dust free.
But PVA will not have any adverse effects either.
You must always use wall board adhesive when applying boards in this method. Basecoats or topcoats are not made up of the same stuff/designed for this purpose, and will not give you the mechanical strength required to hold the board.

Don’t use the Hardwall, dry wall adhesive only. I wouldn’t use PVA, if the walls are dusty just brush them off; you can damp down a bit if you want to slow things up but don't overdo it.

Check the date on the bag of Hardwall but if its been opened or you’ve had it the your garage more than a month skip it, it’s unlikely to be useable anyway.

well it looks like no PVA, a good brush and wallboard adhesive cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back