Dot and Dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody advise what fixing I should use for a kitchen wall unit on a dot and dab wall. It goes into solid block behind the dot n dab. Have searched everyehere but haven't come up with a conclusive answer.

Thanks

Gareth

Sponsored Links
rawl plug into the block should do it..

if you're worried about the void behind the board.. put the plug in and tap flush with the block, then squeeze a decent amount of gripfill into the hole.. it will spread out behind the board and go solid in a while.. then screw the cabinets up as you would to a solid wall..

If your worried about the unit not holding any weight, you can always cut a piece of the plasterboard away and fix a piece of timber to the wall behind where the unit is going. It wont be seen and will give you a better fix.

Both the above are correct. Another solution will be to mark where the holes will go, open up small areas in the close vicinity which will be hidden behind the cabinet, and shove some bonding plaster or any other subcoat plaster up behind the area of the proposed holes. This will prevent the plasterboard potentially being pulled in and distorted as you screw the cabinet's wallplate into position.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies. All helpful and better than I had thought of. Fella down the pub also suggested sticking a couple of angled brackets at the bottom of the cabinet to give extra support which won't be seen once tiled over.

Many thanks for the replies. All helpful and better than I had thought of. Fella down the pub also suggested sticking a couple of angled brackets at the bottom of the cabinet to give extra support which won't be seen once tiled over.

Tell him not to be silly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back