dot n dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so in the bathroom, I've removed all the plaster from the external side wall, and a bit of the window wall.

(it crumbled when I removed the tiles, bloody cowboys who tiled onto that!)

There was no adhesion whatsoever!

Anyway, the wall is bare, dry, dusty brick. I have brushed as much dust off as possible.

I have a tub of PVA, 4 full size plasterboards and a bag of lafarge universal bonding compound.

I understand I need to treat the brickwork with a 5:1 mix of 5 water to 1 pva, then I can dot n dab the new boards on.

The issue with the wall is that the brickwork is extremely uneven - its a solid double wall, 100yrs old and the "bricks on end" are too long, coming through about 5-6mm more than they should. So I might have to compensate by having slightly thicker dabs.

Also, on the window wall, around the window is sound new plaster, but the rest has come off. So I plan to fill in the gaps with dot n dabbed board, then dot n dab over the whole lot. Does this sound ok? Can you dot n dab 2 deep? Its only a small area I'm filling in.

I will be tiling the boards, so should I screw n plug them? Are there any ready made fixings for this? Like frame fixings but smaller?

I've watched a couple of youtube videos, how to dot n dab. So know the basic technique and how thick the mix needs to be (mixing by hand).

By the way, none of the two walls in question will be near a bath or shower so dont need any special boards.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone confirm my plans are right before I muck it all up?

I've ordered a pack of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-nylon-hammerfix-8-x-60mm-pack-of-50/20746

to fix through the dabs. I figured these would be easier and quicker to do than seperate screws and plugs, and would give enough purchase into the bricks behind being 60mm long - allowing 30mm for the board and dabs, 30mm into the wall. And appearance isnt an issue, because its going to be tiled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back