Dot n Dab Continuous Bead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm confused, I'd like to know if & where or what the Building Regs are applying a continuous bead of Dot n Dab Adhesive when fixing plasterboard to walls ?

I have built a single story pitch roof kitchen extension and am now at the stage where I want to dot n dab the thermalite walls with 12mm straight edge Gyproc plasterboard before getting a plasterer in to apply the board finish.

So far I have seen / read the following comments on the i*net:
  1. Continuous beads only needed if its an outside wall
  2. Only required if there is a room above
  3. Put a bead around all 4 sides of every board, 25mm in from the board edge
  4. Put a bead across the top only on every board
  5. Put a bead across the bottom only on every board
  6. Put a bead across the top & the bottom only on every board
  7. No continuous beads are required
  8. On a 2400 x 1200 12mm board put adhesive blobs 3 across and 7 down
  9. On a 2400 x 1200 12mm board put adhesive blobs 4 across and 8 down
The only thing that is consistent is the advice "put adhesive blobs around any cut outs for electrical switches & sockets"

Can anyone clarify for me, thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I personally would (and do) use tapered edged board, Dot the walls not the board! Put your dots on about six inches apart and make sure you have a line of dots for the edges of the board. The reason I put the dots at six inches is so when you dab the board on, they spread out and dont leave big hollows behind the boards.When you have got all your boards on run some scrim tape up the joins (tapers) and skim over it with your adhesive, then when the plasterer comes to skim it all he can unibond the joints and skim the lot together. Check your walls for level and when you dot it you can put more or less adhesive on depending wether it is plumb or not. And when you tap your length of 4"x2" timber over the boards you will know where the high or low spots are to tap it plumb..I usually leave a inch or two gap at the bottom so you can lift the boards up to the ceiling and put some wedges under the boards when you have got it in the position you want. Good Luck;)

Last edited:
Thank you Roy, I have started the DnD now and your advice was very helpful, cheers

Sponsored Links
A few mechanical fixings are good insurance against any failure.Have used fixing foam on my insulated boards [much too my builders dismay] but he had to admit its done a good job and is cheaper and quicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back