Fixing thin coat angle bead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think is the best way for a DIYer to fix thin coat angle bead to dot and and dabbed board?

Staples/Screws/Adhesive?

--- long waffly explanation bit ---

Staples
A site I found suggested staples were the best. I've tried with some 12mm T50 staples and my staple gun, and although ok it's very tricky to a) line up the staple gun with the very edge of the hole in the beading and b) fire the staple without moving the carefully aligned length of beading.

Plasterboard screws
25mm plasterboard screws I think is my favourite option - they cause more damage to the board than the staples but they're easier!
From a few test pieces I've done it looks like the screw head will be *really* close to the surface

Adhesive
Using plaster dabs to hold everything in place seems popular. Can this be done well in advance of actually plastering, I'd really like not to be worrying about getting edging straight when I've 1/2 a bag mixed up and trying to skim coat :p

Sponsored Links
Try a few small smears of gripfill or similar. A few bits of gaffer tape to hold it while the glue sticks. After 1/2 hr or so the tape can come off and you're ready to skim.
The odd galv clout can work too if you can get it into the wood.

Didn't think about that sort of stuff! :rolleyes:

I've got some old tubes of "Sticks like Sh*t" hanging around. Would that work?

I've tried with some 12mm T50 staples and my staple gun, and although ok it's very tricky to a) line up the staple gun with the very edge of the hole in the beading and b) fire the staple without moving the carefully aligned length of beading.
paddy i use a t50 staple gun and find them easy on normal skim beads i shoot the staple through the slots but when i do fire the staple through the hole on the edge i find it easy you put the staple gun just near the hole and slide it over until you feel the staple gun sink into the hole look at the edge of the stapler you will see the bit you have to line up then just slide it over the hole and you can feel when you have got it on the hole then fire the staple in its easy i can line up the stapler with the hole in about a second, also the other method of fixing beads i like is with plaster you dont have to use the same batch you are going to skim with knock up a little bit first "a bit stiffer than you would use for skimming" use this to put your beads on , then when your satisfied you have the beads how you like them start knocking your skim up

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back