Double Board RSJ and Adjacent Wall ***Now with Pic***

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to double board an RSJ with 15mm Fireboard as per the requirments of building control.

The issue I have is that one end of the RSJ is set onto the end of a wall that runs parallel and flush to the RSJ.

If I use the normal noggin method of fixing the fireboard, there will be a 30mm step at the end of the RSJ where the wall continues.

The exisiting wall isn't rendered or plastered. Should I, batten and plasterboard the wall to bring the level up (will be thin battens though) or just leave it to the platerer to make up the levels?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Can't visualize your problem, can you tweak the battens so when you fix boards they run true to wall avoiding the step.

i think he means the rsj is flush with the wall so when he boards the rsj with 2/15mm boards they will protude past brickwall by 30mm.

no way of positioning the rsj's 30mm back from front face of brickwall?????

What boarding is going over the wall - in particular do the specs require insulation beneath them, in which case you'll be battening out anyway. If not, then thicker dot and dabbing may suffice.

Sponsored Links
Here's a pic to explain the situation...

There is no spec for insulation on the walls, so ideally, the main of the room was to be rendered and skimmed.

??

a bit late now but the builder would have been better placing the rsj 15mm inside front face of block wall and then the 2 would have married in nicely.

you can ever dot and dab,using large dabs(i hate dot and dab personally) or put an extra coat of plaster/render on the blockwork and build it out that way.

ohhhh.you might be able to paint the steel with fire resistant paint and use 1 board possibly

Bigger dabs on D'n'D, thicker coats of plaster, batten out
or ask BCs if you can coat RSJ with fire resitant paint and single board.
All good advise, your choice.

Thanks for the advise. I like the fire resistant pain option.

Regards to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back