Double check vs. single check valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that one should install double check valves where there is a chance of foul water being siphoned back into the mains supply, e.g. on a hose outlet or toilet cistern fed from the mains.

I need to install a bath directly from the mains, so does this require a DC valve or would a (single) check valve be sufficient? I am not sure about the difference as regards the law.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
As afr as I know baths don't need check valves, but there is a clearance (I think 30mm) between the level of the tap outlet and the level of the rim of the bath. It does mean you shouldn't have a hose type fitting on the tap/tap assembly.

Does that mean that a bath/shower mixer tap can't be attached to the mains? Or do they have a check valve built in?

Thanks, Oilman - I'm sure we've met somewhere before :LOL:

I thought this must be the case coz it's unlikely water could ever be siphoned back thru a tap on a bath, unless as you say a hose is fitted, but some of our regs appear a bit ott at times!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If it is a mains fed mixer, then according to the water regs check valves should be fitted. If it is a manual type mixer it should be double check, or on auto mixer (ie self dropping) it should be single.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back