double dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I RECENTLY DECIDED TO CHANGE THE DOUBLE LIGHT SWITCH ON OUR LANDING TO A DIMMER, HOWEVER INSTALLING IT AS TURNED OUT TO HARDER THAN I EXPECTED. THE SWITCH SHOW SERVE BOTH THE LANDING AND DOWN STAIRS IN THE HALLWAY. THE INSTRUCTION ARE RUBBISH AND I SEEM TO HAVE MORE WIRES IN MY WALL THAN THERE ARE IN THE DIAGRAM, I HAVE 1 EARTH WIRE, 2 RED WIRES AND 3 BLACK WIRES. ON THE DOUBLE DIMMER I PURCHASED, THERE IS A PLACE FOR SECURING THE EARTH WIRE AND 6 OTHER TERMINALS, 2 MARK C, 2 MARK L1 AND 2 MARKED L2. IS THERE ANY OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME, PLAIN ENGLISH PLEASE. :oops:

Sponsored Links
1) Can't make sense of 1 earth, 2 red and 3 black, BUT - if you wire the dimmer in the same way that the switch is (i.e. move the wires from C to C, L1 to L1 etc) then it'll "work" in whatever way the existing switch does.

2) You are aware, I take it, that a dimmer at one end of a 2-way switching circuit can be a right PITA? What will happen, once it's in, is that when you turn a light on from downstairs it'll come on to whatever brightness is set on the dimmer upstairs. If this isn't what you want then you'll have to climb the stairs to adjust it.

3) PLEASE DON'T SHOUT!!!

THANKS FOR REPLYING, BUT I AM AFRAID I CANNOT REMEMBER THE SEQUENCE OF THE WIRES WERE IN THE ORIGINAL SWITCH. IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANX :rolleyes:

Since you have an unusual set of wires, and you removed them from the old switch without thinking that their positions might be important, it now can't be done except by someone on site with knowledge of lighting circuits and test equipment.

I judge that you have neither.

Time to shout for a deaf electrician.

Sponsored Links
should always take note of where the cables were. As Breezer says "make a drawing and Label the cable"

To let you know what 'Ban' was talking about, using CAPITAL LETTERS is called shouting.

You might not have sorted your wiring out, but you are now more clued up on internet 'chatting'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back