double normal switch to double dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused:
Hi, I wonder if anybody out there can help me???

I have just purchased a dimmer switch with 2 knobs on it! :D

I want to use it to replace an existing normal double switch which is located in the lounge downstairs and which controls two separate lights...

1) The landing light (that can also be tuned on and off with another switch on the landing upstairs)
2) One of the lounge lights (that has no other switch to control it)

On my lovely new switch I have two lots of the following connections:
L1
L2
~ with an arrow through it.
(One set of each of these for each knob)

I also have a earth connector on my new dimmer switch as well.

On my old double switch I have two red wires (looks like one goes to each switch) AND

a brown wire, a blue wire and a yellow wire.

So the big question is.....where do these wires go to on my new double dimmer switch??

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
You need to say what wires are on what terms on the old switch
Including terminal markings

STOP, do not disconnect anything!

Make a careful diagram of what wires go where on the old switch.
Even better, take a photo of the connections and post it back here (see STICKY for how to do it).

Blimey...you boys are quick off the mark!!

Nice to see that good old human nature is alive and well.

Anyway chaps...fear not...in the interest of the welfare of my wife and kids...(i.e. If I electricute myself...they could starve!!)I shall not disconnect a single thing.

I would take a picture of it now but it's dark...could cause a few problems...I'll take a snap in the morning and post in on here...thanks chaps...I'm already feeling better!!

Rgds
Tony from Sunny Wantage

Sponsored Links
Here's the picture chaps

P3180006.jpg

It's taken sideways on and all I can tell you is the nearest red wire has got common written next to it and so has the black one....is this any use??

Rgds

Tony

Your old switch has also got two lots of connections; arranged as two triangles opsite ways up, with the common forming the far point

To swap to your new switch, all you need to know is that common on the new switch is marked as ~ , 1 way=L1 and 2way=L2

(though on the switch with just the red and blacks, connect red to ~ and black to L1, it doesn't really matter which way round you wire a single way switch, but its neater that way ;) )

You should have an earth conductor connected to the backbox, you want to be fitting a link between that and the switch front

Yes, please check for the earth conductor - it sounds like your new dimmer switch is metal, and as such needs to be earthed, whereas they might not have bothered with an earth for the old plastic one..

SB

PS Hi Adam - how's the studying going? Or are you finished now?

PS Hi Adam - how's the studying going? Or are you finished now?

Finished a few months back, SB, got 2330 parts 1 & 2, 2381 and 2391, just need the practical experience now :LOL:

I've sent a CV off to a few places recently, waiting to hear back at the moment :)

Anyhow, how goes it? - not seen you around these parts for a little while

so...with the risk of sounding thick...just to clarify...the right hand dimmer knob needs to control the landing lights so its;

the red one nearest to us in the picture in the common for that knob
the blue one in the LI for that knob

Then for the lounge light(right hand knob)

the black in the common and the blue in the L!

Now what about that yellow bad boy?

Thanks

Tony :confused:

the red one nearest to us in the picture in the common for that knob
the blue one in the L1 for that knob
Correct, and yellow in the L2 for that control (knob)

Then for the lounge light(right hand knob)
the black in the common and the blue in the L!
Hold on, where have you got another blue from, you have red and black there ;) , and I'd put red in in common and black in L1 (but will work just the same the other way around)

Now what about that yellow bad boy?
See above

Look at the sheaths the conductors come out of, all the conductors for the landing (red, yellow and blue) will come out of one sheath along with a cpc (earth), and the other sheath will have red, black and a cpc

Remember to link the cpc to the switchplate

Thanks Adam...you are SPARKY MAGIC!!!!

That all makes sense now....sorry about that bit about the other blue :oops: ...just checking that you were paying attention.

You're a star....

regards

Tony :p

Make sure you isolate
there MAY be two circuits there
Meaning TWO fuses need to be off

I always turn the main switch off so no electric at all...much safer I feel for a novice like me!! Thanks for that all the same. :eek:

(though on the switch with just the red and blacks, connect red to ~ and black to L1, it doesn't really matter which way round you wire a single way switch, but its neater that way ;) )

Why is it neater :?:

Surely the L as in L1 stands for Live
~ is for variable output to load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back