wiring a 2-way double dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a nromal double switch (1-way) operating a wall light and ceiling light, neither ofwhich are operated by any other switches

I am replacing it with a 2 way double dimmer switch (I realize this was probably not the correct purchase but it's all they had and they said it can be wired for my purposes.)

The existing switch has the following wires leading to it: 1 red; 1 black; 1 red with grey sleeve.(there is also an earthing wire connected to the backing switch plate)

The new dimmer switch has on the back of each dimmer knob L1, L2 and ~ (with arrow through it).

Please help me to wire the new dimmer to operate like the old switch

Sponsored Links
Use ~ & L1 or L2 to connect the wires as they were on the old switch, the wire(s) that were connected to common on the old switch should be connected to ~ on the dimmer

jj4091 - nice one. It worked!

just to be clear to others in this predicament:
The old switch had
A (comm) B (1-way) B(2-way) at top

A (1-way) A (2-way) B (comm) at bottom

The incoming wires were red, red/grey and black

A (comm) was connected to B (comm) with short connecting wire
B(1-way) had the red/grey wire connected
A (1-way) had the black wire connected
B (comm) had red wire connected

The new dimmer switch now has:

L1 L2 ~ at top
~ L2 L1 at bottom

~ and ~ are connected by short wire
L2 top has black wire
~ top has red wire
L2 bottom has red/grey wire

Many thanks

dimerspark said:
jj4091 - nice one. It worked!

just to be clear to others in this predicament:
You mean well, however, It is unlikely that others will be, as there are almost infinite number of ways to wire a lighting circuit, especially where double and 2-way switching is concerned! ;)

Sponsored Links
i have wired as dimerspark has, all works ok except only one light can be dimmed, the other is either on or off only. I assume this is because i have only one common wire which is linked across both switches? any way round this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back