Double Gazing in Timber Frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all First time poster.....

I have an old 1913 house with lovely timber frame windows, all single panes. Some of the windows are Crittall (opening) and some are fixed panes. There are probably about 50-60 windows in total. The Crittall frames probably don't have enough space for a double glazed pane, so I will replace the single panes as some of them are cracked. However, the timber frames have plenty of space for a 4-12-4 double glazed unit.

I've read much conflicting advice on if this is sensible, how to do it, putty or no putty, putty fronting using butyl, beading etc. So much so, I actually have no idea now if putting double glazed panes in is worth the cost or even possible.

Can anyone help who is experienced in the trade advise me on this ?

Many thanks in advance.
Mike

Sponsored Links
don't use putty , the putty will crack over time and no sealed unit manufacturer will warranty them. Beading every time. Butyl Strip ( Flexistrip ) is a mute point, in hot weather it can leech around the sealed unit, you would seal around the unit with silicone though. I've seen them put in with Double sized Securtiy tape ( same used as UPVC frames ) , and this works well. Also seen them just siliconed in , but these are a nightmare to get out again when you have to replace them . If you do g replace sealed units in wood , ask for the sealed units to be UNTAPED, as the black tape can hold water , potentially leading to early failure

Thanks @ronniecabers. So just to be clear, what are you saying re the bedding?

I clean the rebate of all putty etc, then put tape or silicone in the rebate for bedding? Then put the glass in, silicone around before beading?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back