Double Glazed Unit Removal - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there..

Im looking to remove a double glazed unit from our living room window soon when I pull down the old Plasterboard ceiling.

The window is about 5 years old.

I gather I need to remove the trim around the inside of the window and then a gasket.... I can see the white trim and between that and the glass is a black rubber seal which I assume is the gasket.

Ive read so many conflicting reports of what to remove first I wonder if someone can clarify. Do I remove the trim first or ease the gasket out first?

Many Thanks

Dougie

Sponsored Links
There is a few different systems used to secure the glass panel in place, not all windows have a separate gasket, the gasket can be part of the beading (trims) that holds the glass in place, this could be the case with your window if it only 5 years old.

Post up a picture of the window beads, to clarify what sort your window is.

Cheers.

Can you post some pictures of the glazing beads, some close ups including the rubbers.

I will have a guess though, being 5 years old it should be internal beaded (glass fitted from inside) with the beads being co-extruded (the rubber being part of the bead).

Get a sharpish scaper/putty knife/narrow wallpaper scraper and push it into the joint of the bead and frame, it might need thumping in with your palm or a nylon hammer, if the beads are mitred in the corners then start in the middle and work towards the the corners, if the beads are scribed in the corners then start in the corner starting with the vertical ones first as these overlap the top and bottom beads

Sponsored Links
As i thought, co-extruded bead, that black rubber is glued to the bead.

Get the flat scraper and start on the vertical bead in the picture, its not mitred in the corner so start at the bottom and ease the bead out, once you have enough released you can pull the rest out with your hand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back