Removal of double glazed window trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cany anyone please advise me how to remove plastic window trim from the outside of a double glazed plastic window. The trim has been fitted very badly and I want to take this off and replace with more suitable trim and fit it hopefully better. Will it cause the window any damage? Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Probably a long thin bladed knife or perhaps a wallpaper scraper might do the trick. As to what damage may be caused is anyone's guess. The trim may just have been attached using mastic so you could end up with residue on the frame. As you intend to replace the trim with new then it might not matter too much but I would work slowly just to be sure.

Don't do it in this weather though! Wait until it's dry.

Thank you kbdiy for your comments. However, I think I have been stung. I said to the 'builder' who fitted the window and trim that the trim did not appear to be fitted as it should have been (trying to be polite) and I asked if it could be taken off and refitted. He said no, he said he had stuck it on with superglue and it would mark the frame if he took it off and by now it would have dried. When he had gone and I was clearing up, I just tested the trim by pushing it slightly and all he had fitted it with was some sealer along the edge. I have some spare trim so will be able to pull the other off and fit some new, hopefully properly. I suppose we live and learn but it is a disappointment when things like this happen. Thank you again for replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back