Double Glazed units in wooden frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly old house with beautiful original wooden frames that are as sturdy as the day they were put in by the look of them. However, I can't say the same for the glass, particularly as a couple of panes have now cracked and are on their last legs.

I'm hoping to get DG units fitted into the frames, but I'm not having much luck with local firms. I had some old stained glass units encapsulated into DG and fitted into similar frames a couple of years ago which have made a massive difference noise and draught wise, and I wanted to get similar benefits.

Does anybody know of any firms that do this in the North West?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
My brother did this with his windows, tho his were in a poor condition so had to rebuild them first!!! Also had to increase the rebate for the thicker double glazed units, looked fantastic when finished.

Just request prices for units to the dimensions you require, you may be putting them off by asking for something out of the ordinary. :rolleyes:

Good luck finding them! It's worth the effort.

My glazier recommends that when ordering sealed DG units for wood-framed windows you should allow for a gap of 5mm top, bottom and both sides for seating in putty. Thus the sealed DG unit will need to be made up to be 10mm smaller in both horizontal and vertical dimensions than the aperture. Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back