Double glazed window leak at internal bead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we had the glass replaced in this window frame some 8-9 months ago, had plenty of rain since but just this morning with heavy driving rain on this window, there are serious leaks at both corners where the internal glass seals meet. Two big puddles on the window ledge.

This is an internally fitted glass unit.

I'm guessing some drainage holes could be blocked but wouldn't the glazing people have cleaned out the frame before fitting the new unit? Maybe not.

I'd appreciate some first hand knowledge of this problem please.

Thanks for reading & any advice.

Regards

Russ

Sponsored Links
Plastic, wood or alloy window? I would guess plastic but pictures and more details would be good.

Could be poorly applied seals on the outside, old seals if they didn't replace them, blocked drainage holes as you suggest.

Too much guesswork at this point.

Hi Aron, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, plastic window, seals look in good condition, all I can see is a weep at each bottom corner of the internal beads where the vertical bead meets the horizontal.

Could well be the frame needs ' equalisation ' as pressure from the driving wind and rain are building up within the frame and the internal bead is the weak point , or as you say drainage holes not cleaned ( my favourite! )...Call the people back who fitted it...it didn't leak before I guess , so it is now their problem to resolve....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Ronnie,

I've now got a pic with my pen pointing at the leak which is same place both sides.
When my Man-Flu, the lashing rain & the hoolie that's blowing out there subsides I'll get up the ladder & check out the drainage holes.

Window%20leak_zpsx8tys2ha.jpg

You'll need to take the glass out to check the drainage holes are clear within the rebate too...

By 'eck Ronnie, I thought this might be an easy fix, like poking a bit of wire up the drain holes from outside.

Now, the job's grown, do the seal strips come out easy? I don't want to be breaking that new glass unit.

Can't really blame the guys who fitted the new glass to the frame, it's been fine for the past 8-9 months since they did it.
The roofers had all the tiles stacked up outside there on the scaffolding so I'm thinking it's all the dust from that, that's clogged up the window.

I've got one thing after another going wrong here, chasing me backside.

Thanks for all the advice, it's really appreciated.

With knowing you had the tiles stacked against in, it might well be the visible holes on the outside....

But to save you going up a ladder , I would just prise out the beads ( as its internally glazed) , use a paint scraper to get the beads out , you shouldn't break the glass...just use a rubber ended hammer to put the beads back though or you'll break them!

ok thanks Ronnie, I'll give it a try, when/if it ever stops raining here.

Went up ladder, poked a bit of wire in the drain holes & bits of fluff & hair came out.

over 4 weeks now & not happened since.

Thanks to all for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back