Double glazed window unit handle stuck in locked position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

The window in my kitchen has got stuck open. It's the kind of window
you can have open just a crack and locked in that position. This is the position
the window is stuck in. The handle is in the horizontal, locked position.
The handle has a button which you need to press before you can turn the
handle. There is a key in the button which needs to be unlocked before
the button can be pressed. When I tried to close the window this morning
I found I was unable to turn the handle. When I press the button it
doesn't feel like the buttons on the identical handles on other windows in
the house. I think its something to do with this button not actuating the
mechanism inside which should free the handle to enable it to move.
I have the key for the lock and this turns in the lock. Not sure which
position is unlocked but I get the same result whichever way I turn it.
How can I get into the handle/lock mechanism to fix it, or at least just
close my window. Should I just attack it with a screwdriver or is that too
drastic? Is there a more subtle way?

Thanks for reading

CP

Sponsored Links
Assuming its just the button on the handle that is gone then you can just force the handle open.
Once unlocked undo the 2 screws on the handle and check the length of the spindle, You can then get a replacement handle from somewhere like screwfix.

If its the gearbox thats gone your in for some fun

Thanks Gazman16. That was line of what I was thinking but thought there might be a less destructive option.

It feels like the button isn't quite going down like it used to, as though there's something keeping it from moving fully into the down position where it'll allow the handle to move.. I might see if I can prize the button out of the handle with a screwdriver. If that fails I have a drill :)

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for that. Very helpful.

Brute force it is then. I had tried pulling a bit harder on the handle but was worried I might go too far and make things worse. I felt I was putting quite a bit of force onto the handle and seemed to be starting to twist the window frame without the handle giving at all. I don't mind paying for a new handle but not so keen a a whole new window :)
I'll try a bit harder.

Cheers

CP

Ok, so I pulled a bit harder and the handle freed off with a crack of snapping plastic. I can now close my window and the handle still works, just without having to use the silly button :)

Thanks all

CP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back