double interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.... my daughter has had some double interior French doors fitted that are glass and wood. She has noticed that the glass in the master door( the door that locks ) is 2" smaller than the door that opens because it has a 2" strip of wood down the side. The joiner who fitted them has told her that that is how they are made and because it is a master door. Can anyone please shed some light on this, i'm sure he's trying to con her.
cheers mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Mick
As the doors only come in 2'0", 2'3", 2'6", and 2'9" widths, My bet/guess is that your 'joiner' has measured the door gap width as (say) 4'3", and he has then chosen to buy one 2'0" and one 2'3" door to fill the 4'3" gap.
And he has not considered that the glass width on the two doors will then be different.

But in their defense, the Howdens doors can only have 3mm taken from each side, which is a maximum of 12mm (half an inch) over the whole door width. So he may have HAD to taken this solution to fill the doorway otherwise the doors would have had to be over trimmed.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/howdens-howden-prod/web_content/media/library/pdf/3357.pdf
SFK

Last edited:
Simple solution is to measure the glass aperture on both doors, if one is bigger because as he says the door is bigger being the master door then it would appear the glass is the wrong size, did the glass come with the doors(supplied together) or did the Joiner....sorry carpenter get the glass separately? If the doors are 2 different sizes then maybe he measured the smaller door and ordered 2 panes of glass at that size and not one of each?

the carpenter should have told my daughter that the door gap was too small for equal size doors so she would either had to have a smaller door opening or a larger door opening. He went for two different size doors to fit the opening. Everything is status quo, it is not that noticeable so my daughter will live with it :)

Thx for that - yes that is issue with Howdens doors. Good doors, but cannot trim much off them.
But glad okay/ish,
SFK

the carpenter should have told my daughter that the door gap was too small for equal size doors so she would either had to have a smaller door opening or a larger door opening. He went for two different size doors to fit the opening. Everything is status quo, it is not that noticeable so my daughter will live with it :)

So does that mean he fitted a piece of glass that was too narrow for the wider door then as per my previous post?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back