one key opens two doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. my daughter has moved into an appartment block she has one key, it opens the front communal door and also the door to her appartment.

so does that mean the front door is a special master barrel that can be opened. by everyone cheers P M

Sponsored Links
Possibly. Does the key open any other appartments? Or can any of the other appartment owners open her door with their key?

Yes it has been "pinned" or mastered so any of the apartments can open the entrance door but none will work each others.
However a passer by will not be able to use it. As they are generally on a special section key and need permissions for duplication.

Obviously if done properly :D

Common in a lot of newer places or in refurbishments.

Sponsored Links
This is not a new idea - It is a simple common entrance pin set.

A simple Master key system would have a master key, sub master keys and servant keys. A cylinder could also be made to let all keys in the scheme work it, for example, an entrance door - known as a "common" entrance door.
A disadvantage is if a key is lost, the front door and the lock the key was made for would both be "compromised" for this reason, common keyed front doors in housing schemes are not always recommended!

more info herehttp://cusworth.net/resources/master-key-systems/

it also means it is difficult for her to change the lock on her own apartment, she would have to ask whoever arranges the masterkeying to get a new cylinder made up or issued from pre-prepared stock.

If it was me I would feel more comfortable adding a BS 5-lever lock under my own control.

Although correct I love these arguments.

So her key is lost and the door and "common door" are compromised.
What happens if she looses her keys anyway?
All the doors still compromised, the car needs re chipping and keying also, so no change there.

So she has to use the locksmiths already in use, as she would anyway if it done correctly (Remember I said that earlier) as it would be a restricted key.

Now as there could be a "grand Master" ( and I have several out there with grand masters) she could get set up with a new lockset with the new mortise off the master system for peace of mind, and the fact that there are only a number of "passing" locks allowed by insurers (Anyone forgotten that one?).

Danncus, the descriptors are close but not entirely correct, a "matrix" is no more difficult to add to than a Grand Master system. ( Your link or random selection?).
After all that is what a grand master does. Difficult a few years ago as we used pinning charts hand written ( difficult as in time consuming) now with the right programs or just purchased from your cylinder suppliers.

the webpage is only a basic overview. I'm not sure a bs 5 lever deadlock should be fitted to any dwelling over the 2nd floor for fire escape regulations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back