Double pond question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario:
2 ponds, each 2.1m dia x 0.8m deep.
There are fish in both ponds.
Pond #1 is 0.5m higher than pond #2.
Water is pumped from pond #2 to pond #1 and drains back into pond #2 over a 30cm wide waterfall. Flow is adjusted with a valve on the pump feed.
I now want to introduce a high efficiency filtration system.

Now, two questions:
Q1) If I pump the water from pond #2, through a filter system, and into pond #1 (on the opposite side to the waterfall outlet), will I end up with static water areas in pond #1, or will there be sufficient flow to stir up the water?

Q2) If the flow through the filter produces an acceptable flow over the waterfall, then that's great, but if I need to increase or reduce the flow over the waterfall, this may exceed the filter flow capacity, or reduce the flow such that filtration becomes inefficient. How can I maintain optimum flow through the filter, whilst being able to regulate the flow over the waterfall? Do I need a second pump?

Sponsored Links
Handyman said:
.Now, two questions:
Q1) If I pump the water from pond #2, through a filter system, and into pond #1 (on the opposite side to the waterfall outlet), will I end up with static water areas in pond #1, or will there be sufficient flow to stir up the water?

It depends on where the pump is situated. it should be as far away from the returning water as possible

see here

Handyman said:
Q2) If the flow through the filter produces an acceptable flow over the waterfall, then that's great, but if I need to increase or reduce the flow over the waterfall, this may exceed the filter flow capacity, or reduce the flow such that filtration becomes inefficient. How can I maintain optimum flow through the filter, whilst being able to regulate the flow over the waterfall? Do I need a second pump?

i would say that a second pump would be a good idea, that way one can run at "max" just for the waterfall, and the other can pump into the filter and return via the waterfall. but i suppose it depends on how much water your filter can filter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back