pond sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I hope someone can help. I have just moved house and have inherited a pond. An upper and lower pond joined by a channel, all concrete constructed and completely lined with one sheet of pond liner. The channel is approx. 43cm wide x 56cm deep. it is bridged by a sandstone slab over which the water flows from the upper to the lower pond, forming a waterfall. Behind the sandstone slab on the upper pond side there is a concrete barrier the same width and depth as the channel and approx 5cm thick. This is set against the sandstone block and on top of the liner to prevent the top pond flooding the lower pond. this seems to work, however there seems to be a leek in one vertical corner of the pond liner where the concrete meets the liner and is allowing the water to go under the pond liner and find it's way down to a drain hole at the lowest point in the concrete floor of the lower pond, so very slowly draining the pond. hence I was hoping I could seal this off. Is there any kind of sealant, something on the lines of bath and shower silicon sealant that can be used. Sorry this is so lengthy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Its not terribly clear from your post exactly what's leaking. You can get aquatic silicone which will be suitable for constant immersion but it wont adhear to a butyl liner well. You can get liner patches and glue to go with it which I probably your best bet.

Many thanks for your reply. We believe the water is being lost through the liner next to the concrete. The liner is low density polyethylene 3 ply. Can you advise where the aquatic silicone can be purchased. Many thanks again for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, yes a tape repair kit can be used, however it's the location of the leak that prevents this being used. I'm afraid with the summer we've been having it's the umbrella I'll be needing instead of the SPF50, but thanks for the advice.

You couldn't send a few hundred gallons of the wet stuff down here could you. My pond is at an all time low.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back