Double socket sparking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would a double power socket start to spark? There is no load on the socket. The wiring is very old and has no earthing so have earthed the socket plate to the metal back box. Have checked connection for both L and N and seem to be ok. Any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
What's sparking and where to? Sounds like you need to switch off the power until it's been made safe

It’s sparking behind the front plate. It looks as though it’s where the earth is connected. Could it be because there isn’t a tight earth connection ?

... The wiring is very old and has no earthing so have earthed the socket plate to the metal back box. Have checked connection for both L and N and seem to be ok. Any ideas please.

idea?

Yes

Turn off the power at the consumer unit, at the very least for that circuit, and call a qualified electrician.

You can look them up on sites such as

https://www.niceic.com/find-a-contractor/find-contractors
Personal recommendation is great, but before making an appointment, ask which Competent Person Scheme they are a member of, and check it on the scheme's website.

You want someone who has a few years experience, and is not just a Domestic Installer (this is the lowest grade)

I hope you are not a troll. You are describing a very dangerous condition.

Where are you?

Sponsored Links
If your wiring is very old with no earthing it could well be rubber insulated and well beyond it's lifespan. I'm struggling to see how you've earthed the socket to the back box unless the wiring is in conduit. Anyway if it's sparking away and no fuses have blown or RCD's tripped you must switch it off as it's a severe fire hazard. I was going to suggest a photo of the wiring behind the socket but I think this is beyond DIY unless you have electrical skills.

You've had 2 opinions that it's dangerous and you need to turn it off. Are you hoping to find someone to say it's nothing to worry about?

Hope you get it sorted very soon.

Just to add to your understanding. The way that sockets are wired goes like this:
The electricity leaves the fuseboard/consumer unit on a cable. This cable goes to the first socket, then another piece of cable goes to the next socket, then then next etc. This goes on until the last socket where the last piece of cable returns to the fuseboard. This is known as a ring final circuit.
There are other types of circuit too. (I put this in to try and stop the inevitable input from certain pedants).

If there is any electricity being used on ANY socket on the circuit,( lets says its a washing machine) the current will leave the fuseboard and go all the way round to where the washing machine is. If there is a bad connection or fault at one of the intermediate sockets then you may well get sparking there EVEN THOUGH THAT PARTICULAR SOCKET IS NOT BEING USED.

You need to get this looked at as a matter of urgency. Just not using that one suspect socket may not stop the sparking, and sparks are a fire risk.

Sounds very dangerous, definitely switch off t whole circuit, then photos of the consumer unit/fuse box and socket front and back would help advise. Then leave the circuit off until it's resolved.

Sounds very dangerous, definitely switch off t whole circuit, then photos of the consumer unit/fuse box and socket front and back would help advise.
To be honest, I don't think that such a photo would make much difference - since it would/could not alter the advice already given, which is surely the only sensible advice in this situation.

Kind Regards, John

To be honest, I don't think that such a photo would make much difference - since it would/could not alter the advice already given, which is surely the only sensible advice in this situation.
I meant additional advice not different advice, if we say it probablyproba a rewire then it helps the op discuss with the electrician. If we say the wires are likely to be ok it helps also.

The wiring is very old and has no earthing
photos of the consumer unit/fuse box and socket front and back would help advise
Rewire?? You must be joking.
Not really joking, it does sound unlikely, butbut the op is to be taken on face value then a rewire would be essential of the circuits without earths. Hence asking for photos.

Yes she could wait for the electrician but it always helps to be armed with the information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back