2 gang socket problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a 2 Gang switched socket for a new metal fronted version. Unfortunately my 1970s house comes with some wacky 1970s wiring. I shall attempt to attach a photo of it.

There are three main branch wires coming into the socket from the back. Each has its own L, N & E. There is no Earth connected to the metal back box. The original double socket front is the standard plastic.

My questions are -

1. Should I attach a separate earth to the metal box from the new socket front?

2. Should all three earths go into the same single earth?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
1. Should I attach a separate earth to the metal box from the new socket front?
It's not a requirement but is good practice.

2. Should all three earths go into the same single earth?
It doesn't matter; the two terminals are connected so however is most convenient with the lengths.

There must be green & yellow sleeving on all of them.

Some of the wires look a bit damaged.
It may be advisable to cut then back a bit to fresh copper.

Superb! Thank you so much for your speedy response.

Now I don't have to drown myself in red wine!

Thanks again!!

You have green slime emerging from those wires.

When the power is off and you have removed the old socket, you need to clean the wires off thoroughly before you fit the socket.

The slime will come back in time again, but it needs cleaning off now.

The slime is the result of a method used in making cables during the mid 60s and early 70s, I would estimate.

Sponsored Links
Hang on, while you're there, you may struggle fitting the new socket.

As it's a flashy wafer edge one, more space is taken up at the back of the socket.

The box could do with being deeper. It's a 25 mm deep one. A 35 mm deep one is more suitable.

That said, with a lot of care and some careful arranging of the wires, you should hopefully just fit that socket on the existing back box.

The existing box may even be set in a good few mm from the finished plaster surface hopefully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back