help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a plastic 2 gang socket. both earth wires on old socket were sleeved together with y/g e/wire and in one terminal.it looked as though there was only one earth terminal however on new socket there are 2 earth terminals, so i separated earth wires sleeved them both and connected separately to each terminal,was wondering if this is ok and have just done some unnecessary work, also there is no flying earth wire to metal back box i believe not necessary? thanks in advance.........

Sponsored Links
You didn't need to separate them but now that you have it's OK to leave it.

It's generally considered good practice to have an earth wire going to the back box, but as long as the box has at least one fixed lug it's not essential.

I have just replaced a plastic 2 gang socket. both earth wires on old socket were sleeved together with y/g e/wire and in one terminal.it looked as though there was only one earth terminal however on new socket there are 2 earth terminals, so i separated earth wires sleeved them both and connected separately to each terminal,was wondering if this is ok and have just done some unnecessary work, also there is no flying earth wire to metal back box i believe not necessary? thanks in advance.........
You have done right by separating both earth/CPCs and sleeving, as it is bad practise to have multiple earth/CPCs in the same sleeve. It was not really necessary to terminate them in split terminals, they could have both gone to the same one, but there is nothing wrong with what you have done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back