Earthing of metal boxes

Sponsored Links
Different things frequently have the same name.

It is a screw which holds the socket in place.

What else would they be called?

Sponsored Links
I might say Faceplate screw

this is a Socket cap screw, or socket headed screw. Smaller ones are more likely to be splined

socket-head.gif

Or socket button head, very popular on bikes

Different things frequently have the same name.
Indeed - but it seems that this is a case of the opposite - the same thing having different names ....
It is a screw which holds the socket in place. What else would they be called?
Oh, I see, is that where the "socket" (of "socket screw") comes from?! (I confess that I hadn't thought of that possibility!) If so, do you also recognise "switch screws", "FCU screws" etc. ?

Kind Regards, John

Oh, I see, is that where the "socket" (of "socket screw") comes from?! (I confess that I hadn't thought of that possibility!) If so, do you also recognise "switch screws", "FCU screws" etc. ?
By definition, obviously.

Have you been taking some winston pills?

There are even machine screws for holding machines together.

coach screws for holding coaches together

countersunk screws for holding... um... counter sinks.

There are even machine screws for holding machines together.
Indeed there are. I have a suspicion that all the things we've been talking about (fully threaded and designed to go into threaded holes, rather than to 'screw' into materials like would) may be classed as 'machine screws'. A more interesting (and probably less well understood) distinction is between a machine screw and a bolt (intended to be used with a nut). IIRC, a bolt is not fully threaded, whereas a machine screw is - but I may well be wrong in that recollection!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back