Earthing conductors in metal back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the usual procedure for terminating earthing conductors for sockets with metal back boxes say on a ring main. Is it best practice to terminate both earth cables into the earthing terminal of the back box first and then run a single conductor (sleeved) to the faceplate (regardless if it is metal or plastic).
The alternative would be to run both conductors to the faceplate first and then a single conductor from the faceplate to back box.

Sponsored Links
I run them to the face plate and a single to the back box. I terminate the back box first as I find it easier to do it that way. If the back box has a fixed screw it's normally sufficient as once the screw is in place it is then earthed but some say it's better practice to have a permannent cpc to it.

You must terminate the circuit CPCs to the socket front.

If the box has a fixed lug, then no connection to it is required, but many still like to add it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back