Earth terminals on flush boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using metal flush boxes for the switches, behind wall lights and sockets for my loung re-wiring.

I know that the Earth wire in the switches should be connected to the earth terminal in the metal box. Should there also be an earth wire connected to the earth terminal for the wall lights and the sockets?

Both the actual socket and the wall lights have earth connections for the earth wire from the cable but do I need to add another bit of wire to go to the earth terminal on the metal box?

Sponsored Links
I always do - you've got metal screws going into those boxes, and you can therefore come into contact with the box.

As far as I'm concerned, anything metal that I can touch and that contains electical stuff, I want it earthed.

I'm sure that one of our qualified readers will advise on whether it is an actual requirement to earth the boxes, but even if it isn't, it has to be good practice. It's only going to cost you a couple of inches of earth wire, so why worry? Cheaper still, buy some earth sleeving and use the copper cores out of the short bits of T/E that always seem to be left over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back