Stainless steel switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing some plastic light switches to stainless steel switches. I have connected up the terminals the same as before, wire for wire, and the old switch and the new switch is working fine. I have done two singles and one double socket. However the wires are all red, none are blue. Except for the yellow and green earthwire. Are all sockets like this ? or is there something wrong with our wiring?

Also, as it's a metal switch do I need to connect the earth terminal on the switch plate to the earth terminal in the box? even though when the plate is screwed in place the earth terminal on the metal plate contacts completely with the earth terminal on the metal box? They do actually touch.

Jax

Sponsored Links
sockets (those with 3 holes on the front for inserting plugs) should definitely have black wires.

you wont find any blue wires on your system - this is the new colour for neutral. you should have blacks for neutral though.

switches (with a little plastic flicky thing on the front, usually for controlling lights) dont have neutrals at them, its all lives, so for this reason they are sometimes all wired in red.

if you mean light switches what you have changed then just red wires isnt a problem.

if you mean sockets what you plug appliances into then start reaching for the yellow pages!!!!!!! :D

i think you may just have got switches and sockets terminology wrong.

earth the switch plate to the back box yes.

crafty1289 said:
sockets (those with 3 holes on the front for inserting plugs) should definitely have black wires.

you wont find any blue wires on your system - this is the new colour for neutral. you should have blacks for neutral though.

switches (with a little plastic flicky thing on the front, usually for controlling lights) dont have neutrals at them, its all lives, so for this reason they are sometimes all wired in red.

LOL!! I'm sorry, I do know the difference between sockets and switches I just typed the wrong thing when writing the post. I do have some stainless steel sockets as well. I am talking about just switches and not sockets at the moment.

As I said there are only red wires in two of the switch boxes and an earth wire. I began to wonder after reading some posts and looking at some diagrams whether there was something odd with the wiring. Thanks for the prompt reply

Jackki

Sponsored Links
chockblockred.gif

industryspark said:
if you mean light switches what you have changed then just red wires isnt a problem.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes I was just tired and typed the wrong thing. I do know the difference between sockets and switches. LOL :oops:

To earth the the terminal on the switch plate to the earth terminal in the box do you have to use that thick, inflexible earth wire, or can I use thinner more flexible yellow and green wire? I assume not. The earth terminals actually touch each other when the switch plate is mounted and there is not a lot of room.

Jackki

thick inflexible earth wire?

im thinking you mean the single stranded wire without any insulation on?(like whats in the middle of twin and earth cable)

you can use this yes but if you do make sure you 'sleeve' it with yellow/green sleeving.

if you have some more flexible earth wire of the same csa you can use this yes.

there should be enough room to get it in.

industryspark said:
if you have some more flexible earth wire of the same csa you can use this yes. .

Industryspark means by csa cross sectional area,

so if you have any 1mm stranded earth (unlikely) you can use this if not, you will have to pull the earth out of a twin and earth and sleave it

industryspark said:
thick inflexible earth wire?

im thinking you mean the single stranded wire without any insulation on?(like whats in the middle of twin and earth cable)

you can use this yes but if you do make sure you 'sleeve' it with yellow/green sleeving.

if you have some more flexible earth wire of the same csa you can use this yes.

there should be enough room to get it in.

The earth wiring in the box is double strand with yellow and green sleeving.

Jackkie

breezer said:
industryspark said:
if you have some more flexible earth wire of the same csa you can use this yes. .

Industryspark means by csa cross sectional area,

so if you have any 1mm stranded earth (unlikely) you can use this if not, you will have to pull the earth out of a twin and earth and sleave it

Thanks I shall go and buy some suitable wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back