wiring double pole sockets (2 earth terminals)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a double pole 2 gang metal socket to install - replacing a plastic one. There are 2 earth terminals and I have three cables coming into the box - two from the ring and one is feeding a spur (2 gang).

What I need to know is how to wire the earth cables and which ones go into which earth terminal. I know I'll also have to earth the metal plate to the box.

I've searched but cannot find any previous posts or anything in the Wiki. Any help/advice would be welcomed.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Both earth terminals will be connected together internally, you may even be able to see a metal strip linking them. It doesn't matter which earth conductor goes in which terminal, but my preference would be to put all three into one terminal and use the other terminal to link to the backbox.

Double pole has nothing to do with the earthing arrangements, it refers to the switches, they have two poles for switching both live and neutral.

Thanks Matthew - I've looked at the socket plate and the earths are joined by a metal strip. Will follow your helpful advice - thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back