Double socket split to two singles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double socket which is going to be behind my double oven, and i want to change it to a single socket for the microwave above the oven and the othe rsingle as a switch for the under cabinet lights.
Is it better to make it a fused socket or just a single light switch one.

Sponsored Links
It will have to be a fused connection unit as you must not connect the lights to the 32A ring circuit without fusing down.

We require a little more detail of the design and configuration of the circuit, to offer you the best and safest method that complies to the requirements.
Is the circuit a ring final or a radial?
What rating is the circuit?
Has the circuit had any alteration or been extended?
Sockets:
*On a ring you cannot spur from a spur unless the first spur has been fused.
*On a radial it would be possible to extend or spur without the means of a fused connection for the sockets.
Lights:
These can be taken via a fuse connection unit and down fusing, if you install a switch FCU, then you will have a functional switch.

Please note that the kitchen is an area that will require the correct procedure to be followed regarding notification and certification of alterations to the circuits.
Also RCD (30mA) protection will be required for newly installed socket outlets and cable buried less than 50mm within walls, if the cable is not mechanically protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back