Double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The electrician has been and moved a few cables around so i do not have to chase them in to the wall as the room is stripped right back so he was able to put them in the stud wall etc. I also want a new double socket on one wall so before he left he has run the cable under the floor boards and i just need to chase the socket box. He said i can connect the socket up myself to save money and time, i forgot what he said but does this sound like i heard right. One end of the cable needs connecting to the double socket in the room that is already live, ie live, neutral connected into the back of this socket and the other end to the new socket i have chased into the wall. Obviously after switching the power off.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The electrician has been and moved a few cables around so i do not have to chase them in to the wall as the room is stripped right back so he was able to put them in the stud wall etc. I also want a new double socket on one wall so before he left he has run the cable under the floor boards and i just need to chase the socket box. He said i can connect the socket up myself to save money and time, i forgot what he said but does this sound like i heard right. One end of the cable needs connecting to the double socket in the room that is already live, ie live, neutral connected into the back of this socket and the other end to the new socket i have chased into the wall. Obviously after switching the power off.
Thanks Lee

Lee, what type of circuit is this?
How many cables (conductors) are in the socket you plan to spur from?
It does seem odd that the electrician would leave you in this situation - has he completed all the circuits, tested them and left you with a certificate - because this will have this information on it.

There are already one set of cables in the live double which then spurs off to another double in another area, can the new one i am putting in also go into the live double that already has two cable in it, ie 2 live, 2 neutrals etc

There are already one set of cables in the live double which then spurs off to another double in another area, can the new one i am putting in also go into the live double that already has two cable in it, ie 2 live, 2 neutrals etc
You need to find out whether the circuit is a Ring Final Circuit or a Radial circuit.

If the circuit is a Ring Final Circuit then you can one add one spur only to the ring unless you use a Fused Connection Unit - in which case you can add more.
If the circuit is a radial then you can add as many extra sockets as you like.

The problem with your description is that it can apply to both Ring final circuit, the first socket in a spur on spur circuit from a ring main or a radial circuit. I would be guessing.

Have a look at this on wiki:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate,

So issume if it is okay to do then it is possible to have the 3 lives and 3 neutrals going into the double socket that is already in situ.

Thanks mate,

So issume if it is okay to do then it is possible to have the 3 lives and 3 neutrals going into the double socket that is already in situ.
Yes in the circumstances I have described above - and don't forget the earths as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back