chase along wall (not up or down)??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one double socket in my living room, 40cm from floor. The wall is brick. I don't want to chase down the wall or up the wall. Can i chase along the wall 2 metres to my new socket that will also be set at 40cm from floor?

Sponsored Links
yes, you can run horizontaly, in a straight line, between two accessories at the same hight.

no curves or diagonals.

Horizontal chases should be no deeper than one-sixth of the wall thickness

Another question. On my kitchen worktop i only have one socket. I want to put one other side of my worktop 3 metres away at same height but don't want to chase up or down. Can i do that?

Sponsored Links
It's the same question and the same answer(s)

Please note that adding a socket in a kitchen is notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs.

Local Authority Building Control - sorry to be a pedant!!

Yeah, basically the part of your council which looks after building regs etc. You can either notify them, pay a fee and let them oversee compliance with the building regs or get someone who is a member of a competent person scheme such as NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI, ECA, NICEIC etc to do the work and self certify compliance with the building regs.

its my own house and ive been told that i shouldnt need to contact the council because im within the zones?

Another question. On my kitchen worktop i only have one socket. I want to put one other side of my worktop 3 metres away at same height but don't want to chase up or down. Can i do that?
Yes, but you have to weigh up the odds that anyone in the future could attempt to make a fixture to the wall (quite common in kitchens) which could be four or five feet away from the sockets, and consider it quite safe to do so. Anyone fixing a rack to the wall is not expected, and cannot be assumed, to know any electrical regs.

Personally I would always go the up and down route where there's any significant gap, despite the additional effort, as I think that this would be more 'obvious' to the average DIYer. But then I'm not an electrician, but I do care about people suffering.

Rgds.

also words of more warnings your'e new socket cannot be within 300mm of the sink that includes the draining board jez

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back