Chasing and zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a second opinion on this.

I have a job in which the client has asked for a new socket on the opposite side of the room to the only socket in the room.
Therefore the only way to feed the socket is from the existing socket. The walls, ceiling and floor are all concrete.
The way I way going to install this was to chase up vertically from the existing socket and run in the 150mm zone between the wall and the ceiling all the way around the room and down to my new position.
My question is..
If I chase horizontally from the existing socket to the corner of the room across a wall with no accessories into the next corner and accross to the new socket. Basically all the way around the room to the new socket located opposite to the existing... can this be done?? I interpret the regs to say no but another opinion would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Or run the wiring in steel conduit. Be careful how deep you horizontally chase walls as you must not exceed 1/6th the total thickness of the wall.

Sponsored Links
No - but you could add another socket on the intermediate wall.
So two new sockets on a spur from the existing socket. Only if it is a 20A radial circuit, not if it is a ring finale.
Indeed - IF the new socket were wired as an unfused spur.

Opinions seem to differ as to what 'accessories' create safe zones. I personally believe that a join in the cable (e.g. connector block or Wagos) behind a blank plate ought to create a safe zone, and that would be OK even if the new socket were wired as an unfused spur.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back