New spur socket

but the original one is wrong.

Winston1 Please explain why this is wrong, I have added the safe zone for existing socket in green and the safe zone for the new socket in yellow. Look they meet at the corner. Therefor the cable is in a safe zone even though it ( the cable ) goes round the corner

upload_2020-3-16_7-11-37.png

Sponsored Links
I think that the OP’s drawing may not show the whole picture, as there are two separate rooms. But even so, as I outlined, the cables in both rooms are Ok.

Don't forget:
...Where the location of the accessory, point or switchgear
can be determined from the reverse side, a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or
partition of 100 mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side, ...

Don't forget:
can be determined from the reverse side, a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or

Really, never heard of that before.

Sponsored Links
To the MOD's: Again: Please feel free to delete this post and equally feel free to reprimand SUNRAY if this post is out of order.

My interpretation of OP and the proposed cabling route:
upload_2020-3-16_11-11-6.png
or possibly like this
upload_2020-3-16_11-9-11.png

I don't think there is much dispute about it being incorrect/undesirable.
EFLImpudence, Saturday at 12:40 PM You would need to chase the wall on the existing socket side until you get to the corner in the new socket room.
upload_2020-3-16_11-36-23.png
winston1, Saturday at 2:31 PM And as I said safe zones don’t go round corners.
scousespark, Saturday at 4:21 PM Yes they do when you have fittings on both walls and they are in line.
winston1, Yesterday at 3:19 AM Which is not the case here.
Which was posted some 9 hours after this
Taylortwocities, Saturday at 5:49 PM Think the other way round.
Run cable horizontal from existing socket to wall corner. That is in zone.
Drill through corner into room two. Run cable horizontal from corner to new socket. That's in zones too.
upload_2020-3-16_11-34-33.png
I've repeated this one just to put the time line into perspective:
winston1, Yesterday at 3:19 AM Which is not the case here.

So WINSTON I'll stick my neck out again and respectfully ask you to do several things:
1) Read the posts in the thread fully before you post.
2) Check your facts before you post.
3) Stop posting useles incorrect rubbish.

winston1, Today at 3:43 AM No one is in disagreement with the later suggestion, but the original one is wrong. Simples.
In that case make accurate posts at the time and not the ongoing rubbish you keep spouting.

If I'm honest I'd actually like to ask you to leave the site to those people who know what they're talking about but I won't do that besause it would be rude and I'll keep that to myself.

My apologies for adding sketches of my interpretation of EFL's and Taylors proposal within their posts.

EDIT: especially if I have misunderstood their idea.

Last edited:
Do you know the thickness off the walls? Greater or less than 100mm. It appears to be important.

Don't forget:

Do they?

I think you missed my cunning plan. It goes like this
Slide1.jpg

All cabling horizontal from existing and new sockets. Compliant.

PS, it might be helpful if the OP can find another envelope and draw a better plan of where the walls actually are!

I think you missed my cunning plan. It goes like this
View attachment 186143
All cabling horizontal from existing and new sockets. Compliant.
PS, it might be helpful if the OP can find another envelope and draw a better plan of where the walls actually are!
I confess I struggled to work out the drilling action without another wall element but this is something I do to keep cabling away from corner vulnerability. It didn't occur to me others do it too.
Sadly the OP will have been frightened away by Winstons negativity ages ago.

I don't think you need an angle. I don't have a drawing app, but you could chase into the corner. Continue for a couple of centimetres before drilling straight through. Chase from the hole to create the zone in the second room. I've done this when there is a concrete floor. I suppose Winston would break out the Kango.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back