Adding a spur, clarify cable pathway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm adding a spur socket my ground floor office, spurring from an existing socket on a perpendicular wall. Am I ok to run a chase across the wall at the height of the socket and into the new spur? Ideally I would have spurred from above as my power sockets are on one circuit (excluding kitchen) but in this instance I won't be able to drop a cable from above. The cable will span approximately 2.7m from socket to socket.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that. Unfortunately I can't get a 50mm recess without cutting a chase out of the block work. Should I just switch to armoured cable to achieve what I'm after?

Thank you for that. Unfortunately I can't get a 50mm recess without cutting a chase out of the block work. Should I just switch to armoured cable to achieve what I'm after?
No, that only applies outside the horizontal and vertical from accessory "zones".

Sponsored Links
If you can do a horizontal chase in line with one of the sockets, you shouldn't have to use a 50mm+ deep chase or swa.

If you can do a horizontal chase in line with one of the sockets, you shouldn't have to use a 50mm+ deep chase or swa.

I've just sketched out what I'm trying to achieve. Based on what you've said, I understand that what I'm trying to do is compliant? Could you please confirm this is what you've outlined?

Presentation1.jpg

Yes, that's fine.

I'm not sure what the confusion is. You can chase that cable just deep enough to hide it.

As it is new, it must be 'protected' by an RCD on the circuit.

Yes, that's fine.

I'm not sure what the confusion is. You can chase that cable just deep enough to hide it.

As it is new, it must be 'protected' by an RCD on the circuit.

Great, I thought it needed to be 50mm deep but ignore that. All sockets are on the RCD, so I'm good to go. Many thanks!

It might be poorly worded but saying a cable <50mm. deep must be protected by an RCD means just that - it must be protected by an RCD.

It does not necessarily mean bury it >50mm. This will be against the Building Regulations for horizontal chases in a 100mm. brick or block because only one sixth the depth (17mm.) is allowed; plus the depth of any plaster. One third the depth for vertical chases.

Great, thank you for your help. Much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back