Spur Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question about adding a spur for a plug socket. My house has one ring for all the plug sockets. I want to a double socket to a room. My question is I know that the ring for the sockets runs above the wall for the socket in the room above, can I spur from this and run it down the wall or do I have to pull up the floor boards and spur from the ring in that room. Reason I ask is normally I wouldn't be too bothered on having to pull up the boards but we are having a new ceiling in the room and would have to use alot less cable.

Sponsored Links
Either way would be acceptable, provided the cables are vertically in line with the socket.

However, what is the problem with lifting a couple of floor boards? Surely easier than chasing the wall from ceiling to socket level, and damaging the wall in the room above as well?

If you were thinking of hiding a junction box in the ceiling, think again.

ah, the only reason that made me think of the idea of dropping the cable from above is that I know there is already a junction box there. When we first moved into the house (end of 2006) we had southern electric put in a new consumer unit as the one before was really old with fuse wire! We also had them move it to a more convenient location and I know the sparky used 3 junction boxes (sockets, upstairs lights, downstairs lights) to run new cable to the new location of the consumer unit.

So if that isn't a good idea to do that and I'm going to go to the effort of pulling up the floor boards I just as well include the new socket into the ring rather than spur off an existing one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back